Sunday, June 14, 2015

Siksik, Liglig, Umaapaw

Prep 15 is a household activity for men and women held 15 days before Kairos started. It was a venue where participants could learn to live with all sisters or all brothers, perform their household tasks, and at the same time, strengthen their womanly or manly character. It is just the same as the format for households we’re holding here in Davao, the only big difference is we had foreign delegates.

The first day I arrived at Jerusalem House, I was already greeted with hugs and beso-beso by my sisters. They really welcomed me. I tried to feel at home, but then and there, Ghea, our household head, informed me I shouldn’t speak Bisaya, nor should I speak in Filipino, I should speak in English. And so I thought this would be a disaster. But more than the language barrier problem, I really felt not at home because I was so shy with everyone and I was so scared because I didn't know how to socialize with them. So there i was, in a place i am not used to live in, with people i only met (except Aiana, i met her before). I felt I’m in a very scary nightmare and all i can do was to wish for it all to be over!!!....... But my action group leader, ate Krish, came to the rescue. She advised me by the phone what to do and how to deal with my fears. She even visited us in Jerusalem house.

So I tried to play it cool. I tried to do what I thought was expected of me to do: do household chores and follow rules. But I think God had other plans in mind. He really wanted me to go deeper with my relationship with my sisters, you know, that thing called "going out of your comfort zone".. I was caught off guard! The next thing I knew, I was already speaking in English like a pro (maybe the Holy Spirit descended on me), I was already sharing my personal testimony to Zette (because she asked for it too), our kitchen steward, I started teaching Tagalog words, phrases and statements to Tania, Alicia and Janice and i also started learning Indian language like “Mi changli distey”, I was already sharing and singing my favorite song during mealtime and also shared my Hallor-hallor baby prank experience.. I learned a lot from my new friends: how much lots of them love the song "Night Changes", how we all loved jamming and singing.. I realized that we were so alike in so many ways. All of us really bonded together. We were so loud.. we were feeling so young and free and alive.. we sang songs and danced Hip-hop Abs.. And we cried so hard reflecting on our experience with the sick children in PGH UP Manila.. we laughed so badly one dinner time that our sister, Hannah Rae, hyperventilated, we panicked, and we had to get a paper bag for her to breathe in. So there! We reached both extremes of joy and sadness, and we reached it "together" as sisters, and maybe that strengthened our relationship with each other.

If you’d like to know, our household chores were not that easy at all. There were times one would have to clean the bathroom, or wake up early to prepare breakfast, or stay up late at night washing plates, glasses, spoon and forks used by 21 ladies. It was really some serious training for us. Many of us got sick during the household period (maybe also because of the schedules we had to attend to). I had my turn of being sick. But then again, I wasn’t sick for long. Abie, Tania & I were supposed to do the dishes the evening I got sick. But the two of them did everything before I even got the chance to help. Ghea and Thea made me drink medicine and lots of water. And when I checked my household assignment for the next day, instead of being the dishwasher (for lunch, i think), I was assigned as the prayer room cleaner. When you are the prayer room cleaner, it is good as almost doing nothing because the task was so easy. So you see, my body had no choice but to get well soo fast because of all the love and care I was receiving, not to mention all the prayers and laughter. :)

i really love sports! So even though many of us were good or not good at playing, we were all given a chance to unleash the energy in us.. We were able to play sports in Antipolo and also one in Don Bosco.. i learned really cool games like Kabaddi  and Captain Ball.. We also played sack race. it's a Filipino game so i didn't have to learn it.

There was also this unforgettable experience we had. Ghea asked Pola and I to be the host of a Jamming Night with kuya Ken and kuya John. Pola, maybe the holy Spirit also descended on her, suggested that I play the role of Jesus and she play the role of the Samaritan woman (the one where Jesus asked her for a drink, and later on she was the one asking Jesus for the water of life - John 4:4-26). So we were playing our roles and everybody were laughing the whole time (i hope Jesus was not offended with me playing as Him). We jammed with kuya John and kuya Ken. We sang Ed Sheeran and 1D songs, Hallor Hallor Baby (it was soo embarrassing), a song composed by Zette's friend, and also one entitled "Ten Guitars" led by Annalize.. While the two men sang Country Homes and Jamaica Farewell. It was so fun but also sad at the same time because later that night we learned that Sonali lost her Lolo that morning. She knew about it the whole day (most of us did not know). She was mourning, but still she chose to join us in our activities.

More than all the fun and crying (we cried a lot), we were also so overwhelmed with the great provision of the Lord for us. God gave us a place to stay, the Jerusalem House, thanks to the Melchors. We were also able to visit and have fun in Antipolo, Batangas  and Bulacan, thanks to the generosity of the Ligaya brothers and sisters. In our road trips, we were able to appreciate girl scouting even more, because we had to be "always prepared" in our escapades. But more than being a girl scout, we actually were really able to breathe in the beauty of God's creations around us (esp. back in Tali). In addition to the road trips, some families even gave a Manila City tour – all expenses paid (including lunch and snacks). He provided our household with loving teachers, tita Cor, tita Chu and tita Mae to give us talks, training and helpful question and answer portions. We felt God speak to us everytime we pray and worship Him especially in Morning Prayer sessions and in our meditation and Bible study time. The sisters always get overwhelmed especially whenever God's personal messages for each one of us would just connect, you know what i mean? It's like everything made sense. God called us and set the date and place for us sisters to meet. God made miracles happen in the way He touched our lives with the little time we were together.

i am also very much amazed with the really talented people i was surrounded with. Their talents: dancing, singing, playing guitar, composing songs (the epic song: 1568 Princeton Street, Wack-wack Village), drawing, designing, crafting stuffs, cooking real good food, capturing memories, doing calligraphy, modeling, teaching, joking, playing sports. There were a lot to discover about each other that we really couldn't get enough of one another. We felt that 15 days are not enough. But then again, in those days, as much as we could, we shared and talked with one another, we were attentive and sensitive to another's needs and we were willing to listen. :)

It's wonderful how every little and big detail of our household chronicles were beautifully knit together by the same God who made everything come into existence. It's awesome as well that lots of people sacrificed and gave generously of what they have (tangible or not) just to make Prep 15 happen. 

Finally, i'd like to thank CYA Davao for all your prayers and calls and text messages of support in the entire time i was not with you.. Thank you for the Holy Trinity Community and Ang Lingkod ng Panginoon for your support and generosity. Without you eagerly saying "Yes!" to the Lord, maybe I Gerard and Alfonso, would not be able to experience the historical Prep 15. I really learned a lot and what I thought would only be a training experience became an experience of a lifetime, a memorable experience - not mainly because of all the places we’ve been to, or all the activities we've conducted, but because of the bond we’ve formed in the household as sisters. And so like Mary, i'll keep these things in my heart.. i'll ponder on them and i'll praise God we, sisters, found each other. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment