Monday, October 11, 2010

"Eventually I came across another passage. This is what it said: I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it to the earnestness of others. The words made me choke up again, and just as I was about to cry, the meaning of it suddenly became clear. God had finally answered me, and I suddenly knew what I had to do.

I couldn't have made it to the church any faster, even if I'd had a car. I took every shortcut I could, racing through people's backyards, jumping fences, and in one case cutting through someone's garage and out the side door. Everything I'd learned about the town growing up came into play, and although I was never a particularly good athlete, on this day I was unstoppable, propelled by what I had to do. I didn't care how I looked when I arrived because I suspected Hegbert wouldn't care, either."

"Even more than I, perhaps, he had to keep up his spirits around Jamie, and the stress of doing so was wearing him down."

"She was pale, so very pale, but her smile let me know she was still fighting. "

" I cannot adequately describe the intensity of what I was feeling at that moment. Love, anger, sadness, hope, and fear, whirling together, sharpened by the nervousness I was feeling."

"In my mind it was the first time God had ever spoken directly to me, and I knew with certainty that I wasn't going to disobey."

"I know that some of you may wonder if I was doing it out of pity. Some of the more cynical may even wonder if I did it because shed be gone soon anyway and I wasn't committing much. The answer to both questions is no. I would have married Jamie Sullivan no matter what happened in the future. I would have married Jamie Sullivan if the miracle I was praying for had suddenly come true. I knew it at the moment I asked her, and I still know it today."

'In the South its a tradition to have your father beside you, but for me its a tradition that wouldnt have had much meaning before Jamie came into my life. "

'Though Beaufort has changed and I have changed, the air itself has not. Its still the air of my childhood, the air of my seventeenth year, and when I finally exhale, I'm fifty-seven once more. But this is okay. I smile slightly, looking toward the sky, knowing there's one thing I still haven't told you: I now believe, by the way, that miracles can happen. "


http://www. Read. Forumsplace. Com/

No comments:

Post a Comment