Saturday, March 12, 2011

A play written by Paul Dumol

It was, first of all, a requirement for a subject -Mindanao literature.

"Ang Paglilitis ni Mang Serapio" is a story about how powerful beggars questioned Mang Serapio's guardianship of a child. In their federacion this act is illegal because their payment to the federacion would be divided because Mang Serapio's contribution would then be divided between the federacion and the child's needs. This play describes how people in the lowest of all classes distinguish among themselves who are powerful and who are not. It depicts the life of poor people on the streets and how they strive everyday fighting for their principles and how they seek to survive.

This play was assigned to our group to be performed. I've read the play. I realized that whoever will play the Unang Tagapagtanong should really master his/her lines because it is not Mang Serapio who would be talking most of the time but the Unang Tagapagtanong. I knew right then that it couldn't be me. Hahahahha! I could never be able to memorize such long lines.

That is why I was really shocked when it was either Quenny (my groupmate) or me who would be playing the role of Unang Tagapatanong. Alas! I was defeated in the game of Jack en' Poy. Therefore, the most challenging role in the play (perhaps) was given to me.

Quenny and I started running our lines together. She got the role of the Ikalawang Tagapagtanong, kind a like my assistant.. I think.. I was really not good at it but I tried to feel the character i was about to play. I contemplated about my role and meditated about what kind of tagpagtanong am I going to convey to the audience that would give justice to the writer of the play.

We had practices as a team. My groupmates also had difficulty in the mastery of their lines. But I know we are all trying our best. In fact, many of my groupmates had fever during the days of our practices. But on the rehearsal night, the day before the presentation of the play, all of us were present. We were at least able to practice our roles as a team, polish our ways of acting, and plan for the event the next day. I saw our 12"x18" poster. It was marvelous. I could feel its drama.. credits to ate Krista and her friend. ;0


Courtesy of ate Krista Villa-Agustin & kuya Eugene Subang

The day came. I was really moved by the trailer ate Krista made.. The true essence of the play is to know poor people as members of the society and not just members of the lower class. It is kind of sad to see them and actually do nothing for them. But I 'm just gonna do my best at this moment. Right now! The play is about to start. If I'm not gonna nail this thing, I'm not gonna give my groupmates what is supposed to be theirs, which is my full effort during the performance. I was nervous but I don't know why I felt confident. Weird! :))

The play ended. We received positive and negative feedbacks from the audience, but mostly positive! :D But the thought that they appreciated our act in front was enough.

LORD SALAMAT JUD KAAYO! OVER!

I don't now how i did it. It just proves the wonders of the Lord. I was really amazed with Him and how He transformed us all. :) Ate Ivy tried her best to pronounce the word "barung-barong" properly. Ate Joan, although she was feeling a bit sick, acted happily and with energy in the play. Ate Krista tried her best to make her voice loud and clear - knowing that she has quite a small voice. Marchelle also did her in playing her part. She was quite a shy girl for me. But she shared a part of herself to the team. I believe all of us really appreciated it. Everybody did their best.

I'm so thankful to Him for this memory.. am hoping I can save it for a lifetime! :)

::

Mang Serapio - Kuya Francis
Hukom - Ate Krista
Unang Tagapagtanong - :)
Ikalawang Tagapagtanong - Quenny
Unang Saksi - Marchelle
Ikalawang Saksi - Ate Joan
Unang Pilay - Ate Ivy
Ikalawang Pilay - Gly
Unang Bantay - Miko
Ikalawang Bantay - Julian
Director - Quenie

writer - Paul Arvisu Dumol

Thank you to our teacher, Ma'am Sheng!
Lord, thank You!

P.S. i'll never forget the last lines which always moves me in the saddest way

"Bali-bali na ang aming pakpak. 
Wala sa amin ang lakas upang liparin ang napakataas na pader na kongkreto.
Marahil ay ibinitin na nga ni Mang Serapio sa harap namin ang susi sa aming piitan,
ngunit napakahirap hiwain ang sarili’t ilantad sa pag-ibig.
Ang balon ay malalim,
at nasa kailaliman ang nasang lumipad at hanapin ang sinag ng araw,
ngunit ang gula-gulanit na diwa’y
mahinang wumawagayway lamang."

No comments:

Post a Comment