Saturday, August 21, 2010

DISCERN

It used to irritate me when people give unsolicited advice knowing they don’t practice what they preach.

I would speak my mind. Sometimes it led to heated debates with people I previously judged as self-righteous.

It took some time before I realized that I would need to discern if, at a particular moment, it was actually God talking to me, relaying His message through a certain person.

So now, I constantly try to separate the message from the messenger and discern if the pieces of advice are meant for my benefit to be able to serve the Lord better.

It’s hard and exciting. These are wonderful opportunities for me to stop judging people and allow them to surprise me with God’s messages.

At the same time, I try to be mindful of what I say so I know I’m practicing what I’m preaching.

Carlo F. Lorenzo

1 comment: