Monday, October 29, 2012

A hole-in-being

I need to write.

Before drawing, I really planned to make a sculpture-like 3D figure, abstract, but would show “me”. But something came into my mind – a hole-in-being. A topic discussed in our philosophy subject (Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl). So I thought about drawing a doughnut – an illustraition of an object with a hole which is likened to human beings having something missing in their being. This hole is described as something that is naturally present in humans and is to be filled as they live on their lives. I don’t know, maybe in searching for meaning, we eventually fill this hole up.

So I was planning to create a replica of myself. Something that is sculpture-like, shows the fullness of a figure, and doesn’t exactly show the hole in it.

And here it is. It actually looked like a teardrop with a hole so evident. I just used pencil marks to give some depth to it.

Then an idea came, more like a realization. Teardrops or any drop of liquid which are irregularly thrown, with holes, deformed or in whatever way, will eventually seek its most stable, founded form, a sphere, perfect with no holes. It attracts molecules of its own, obtaining the least surface area, becoming full before it touches the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment